Wednesday, December 05, 2007

You Want Fries with That?

Ok, today is my day to talk about the people behind the speakers in the drive-thru’s. I know you know what I’m talking about. Here’s how the conversation went today when I went to George Burgers for lunch. “Welcon to Chorch Burger, can I help you?” “Yes, I’d like a fish taco and a small coke.” “What kin’ taco you want? Beef?” Sigh. “No, I want a fish taco.” “Ok, fish taco. Anyteen else?” “Yes! A small coke.” “Tank you. Please drive up.” Ok, first of all, I cannot drive UP. They have not equipped BMW’s with an UP gear. I can drive forward, but not UP. Second, she didn’t tell me how much my order was and I couldn’t see the sign with the sun in my face, but I think the taco was $2.39. I figured about $3.50-$4.00 tops. There are three vehicles in front of me and George’s is known to be a bit slow, but that’s ok because their food is excellent, so I wait. Finally, it’s my turn at the window. She shows up at the window and says, “Five fifteen.” I shrug and hand over the $5.15 thinking that the price of the taco must’ve gone up. Either that or she charged me for some gigantor coke. Now I wait. And wait. AND wait. Seven minutes at the window. “Sheesh, this is taking a long time,” I think to myself, wishing my satellite radio was working because there was a good song on before I went under the overhang. Watching inside, everyone is working but no one is coming to the window. What’s that? I see someone and she is headed my way! Oh darn, she gets on the phone at the drive-thru (or is it drive UP?) window. Ok, so I wait some more. They must be out catching the fish and that means this is gonna be some really tasty fish taco! Three more minutes and then someone heads towards the window with a food box. Hooray! She hands me the box and I don’t even look inside. I put it on the seat beside me and she turns to walk away, but I say, “My coke?” She gives me a blank look and then the gal on the phone says, “You no order coke. You order two fish tacos!” Excuse me. I guess I did. I can’t even understand myself sometimes.

7 comments:

K Hutchinson said...

ROFL- I have tears running down my face- this is so funny! I so know what you mean!

Andi (RrlScrapGal) said...

OH Boy... The patience you must have!

ps.. Love the Tim McGraw song...

Heather Grow said...

Oh no. That is so my life. I'm a picky eater so I am use to disappointment from restaurants, fast or otherwise. I guess that's my fate if I'm going to hate lettuce.

Erin said...

at least you HAVE fish tacos out there!

NO really I am amazed by that job, when you go to some it's the same one chick taking your order, taking your money and preping stuff. So while she's getting me my coke she's tricking some other girl into taking two fish tacos... I don't think I could do it. It's on my grudging respect job list.

Your story though is super funny! :)

Anonymous said...

LOL. thanks for the morning funny. i needed it!

Anonymous said...

LOL. thanks for the morning funny. i needed it!

Tami Bayer said...

Hilarious and so very true. I can't understand myself either :)