Saturday, April 07, 2007

Gift Bags

Happy Saturday. So Cat and I were talking (ok, emailing) the past few days and she wants to know if I'm available on May 12 to help out with some MNT's. Of course, I say, what are we doing? She says it's for some downtown business association thingy (sorry, I don't remember exactly what it is) that every downtown Escondido business who chooses to particpate in this day's activity, does some kind of MNT for their business. So if you were the owner of an art gallery, you might show people how to paint, or if your a hair studio, you might show people how to cut hair, or whatever. So Cat wants to do little projects. Asks me if I can come up with a MNT for two sessions that day? Of course, I say. So I stopped by the Cupboard and we decide to use the purple gift bag packets, Magenta stamps and 2x2 Stampbord. I LOVE Stampbord! These are the four bag samples I made up using the supplies. I did not make up this gift bag idea. It was Emily's idea that we use for the MNT's at the Rubber Stamp Expo in Del Mar last month. They are very easy to do and very versatile. So here's how you do it. Supplies:
  • Small white bag (cut it in half)
  • 2x2 Stampbord
  • Two pieces of lavender 4.25 x 5.5 cs and one 2.5x2.5 piece of black cs
  • Rubber stamps
  • Ink
  • Stampbord craft knife (I used the pointy one)
  • Dye-based ink, Brilliance ink or alcohol ink for the background. I used the first two types of ink.
  • VersaFine or Brilliance for stamping the image. I used Brilliance Graphite Black.
  • Stipple brush
  • Adhesive. I used double-sided tape
  • Hole punch or ribbon punch

Directions
  1. Take your Stampbord and ink and ink up the background for your stamp. You can apply the ink directly to the Stampbord from your ink pad (I used the dewdrops cuz they are smaller), or you can do as I did and stipple it on. You have a little more contol if you stipple. Let that dry a minute before you stamp on your image.
  2. Stamp your image in black ink. My Magenta stamps are 2x2 and my Stampbord is 2x2 so I found it easiest to ink up the stamp and set it on the table ink side up. I carefully laid the Stampbord on top of the inked stamp, pressed evenly and lifted straight up so the image didn't blur.
  3. If you use Brilliance ink, it will take a few minutes to dry completely, so go on to assembling the gift bag while you wait.
  4. My set of Magenta cling stamps came with a 1x1 stamp, so I used that to stamp on the cardstock on either side of the Stampbord image. You can use another piece of cardstock or do whatever you want.
  5. Put your lavender cs back sides together and punch holes for the ribbon using your hole punch or ribbon punch.
  6. Tape the lavender cs to the two sides of the bag. See image below. Make sure you have the bag opening on the top or you won't be able to put anything in the bag. haha
  7. Your Stampbord should be dry by now, so take your Stampbord carving/craft knife and carve some details into your stamped image. How you do it and where you do it is totally up to you. When you cut into the Stampbord, the white shows through and adds highlights to your project.
  8. When you're finished with the knife, put some adhesive on the back of the Stampbord and center it on the 2.5x2.5 black cs.
  9. Adhere the black cs/Stampbord to the center of the front of your gift bag.
  10. Open up the bag and put your gift/surprise inside.
  11. Thread your ribbon through the holes in the top of the bag, tie it and you're done!

3 comments:

Julie Prichard said...

Well, I was trying to keep this low key, but I guess I should tell the truth now. The city is not having a downtown business association thing on May 12th...they caught word that May 12th is my birthday and since I am a regular in the downtown area now, they are throwing me a special party! :)

Cute MNTs. :)

Godelieve said...

Great tutorial Debbie, thanks!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the details of your great bags Debbie! As always it is a delight to read through the happenings on your site!
...Jan