Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Coloring with markers part 1

I have been struggling with coloring with my Prismacolor markers and a blog post or two back, I asked you, my loyal readers, to share with me, a post showing how to color with markers. I have been perusing those posts for the past week now, and wanted to share my most recent practice. This is just a piece of cardstock that I normally use to stamp and color on with my Prisma pencils. I will be trying different papers that have been suggested on other blogs, but for now, my research is about this paper. You'll have to click the pics to see them bigger and read my notes about the coloring and the paper. This next picture is the back of the paper. I read on THIS BLOG which is about Copic markers, that in order to blend the colors better, you need to keep a wet edge and in order to keep a wet edge, you should put a lot of color on the paper, and in order to know if you have enough color on the paper, it should bleed through evenly on the back of the cardstock. So that's that I did. I put down a lot of ink. I must say that I do agree that my colors blended better with more ink in the paper. Yes, IN the paper. I figure that since the ink was so wet and it bled through to the back of the paper, it must be IN the paper.
I need to say that I learned a lot about coloring and blending colors from all these blogs you sent me. One of the best things I learned was to put a lot of ink down and to blend the colors with the lightest of the two colors. What I mean is, if you are blending yellow and orange together and want and smooth blend of colors between the two, you need to use the yellow and color in small circles on the border of the two colors until it looks the way you want it. You can see I did that on the submarines in the first picture.
What I don't like is that the color bled outside the lines of of the images. I'm not sure if that is because I saturated the paper so much or that the paper is just not right for the markers. I read in many of the blogs that oftentimes the artists use Bristol paper for their coloring. I will try that and get back to you in Part 2. What I do like now about using my Prisma markers is how they blend now. I'm getting used to it. I'm equating this experience to my first experience with my Prisma pencils. When I first started coloring with them, I was frustrated because they didn't blend well, but the more I used them, the better I liked them. Now I can't live without them. I'm hoping for the same satisfaction with the markers, but it will take time.
Ok, so on to the winner of my pencil art on the "Happy Summer" July 17 post. I used the random number generator and it chose JAN! This is THE BLOG that Jan sent me to. Thanks, Jan! I'll be contacting you over on the Stamp Shack.
Thank you to everyone who reads my blog. I really appreciate you stopping by.

1 comment:

K Hutchinson said...

WOW this is great that you did so much work research on this and shared it with us! I can't wait for part two! SMILE!