Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Is this cheating?

Is it cheating if you use Photoshop to make art? That's the question that's been mulling around in my head for the past two days. How can a computer program compare with paints, inks, pencils and glue? Is this modern/progressive art or is it a cop-out? Why do I keep thinking about it? My gut says art is with material things: the paper, glue, glitter, etc., but my brain keeps saying, ‘yes, but try the computer. You might just like it.' I dunno. I'm actually afraid to try it. Why? Because the paper and glue is what I hold dear. It's what I know. It's what I BELIEVE to be true art. It's what I love. So why is my brain telling me to try Photoshop? S-t-r-e-t-c-h. Maybe that's it. I need to try the computer to stretch my skills in the other? Whatever it is, it's driving me crazy, so I'd just best get on with it.

No comments: