Sunday, February 24, 2008

A Bracelet

This is a bracelet I made from a kit I bought at the rubber stamp expo in Riverside. Tami had been handed a flyer when she arrived at the expo and it was for a booth called Yankiwi, so we headed on over there and we were both in AWE of what was going on there. Soon Heather joined us and we must've spent an hour in that booth. Well, it felt like an hour. The company is called Yankiwi because it is owned by a Yankee, Tray, and a Kiwi, Susan. Susan is from New Zealand and she is very passionate about what she is doing. It was so fun to talk to her and find out where she gets alot of her pieces for these bracelets. I bought a couple of bracelet kits. The "tiles" for the bracelets are actually bleached bamboo with holes pre-drilled in the sides and the ends. They are very lightweight and you can do just about anything you want with them. One of the other little GWO (Gorgeous Wee Objects) kits I bought had a lot of vintage watch parts in it. I love that. The other kit I bought had a bunch of little suns and stars in it, but that is for another bracelet. So, let me tell you how I made this bracelet. First off, you don't have to sand the bamboo. It's done for you already. All you have to do is run a toothpick or something through the holes to make sure they are clean an open. I put my tiles in a cardboard box lid and sprayed them with my Adirondack Color Wash Sprays, first in butterscotch, then lettuce and finally just a sprinkle of cranberry. When I could see it was almost dry, I spritzed them with water. That made the colors run a bit and get a bid mottled. After the first side was completely dry, I did the other side just the same. I then used a few of the stamps I bought from Yankiwi and stamped the tiles randomly with versafine black ink. I let that dry. Then I used my cystal lacquer and put a nice coat on the stamped side of the tiles. While that was still wet, I used my tweezer and put in a few gems and some of the vintage watch parts. I let it dry for a whole day before I strung the bracelet together with the elastic cording (included in the kit). I added some beads that I had in my stash. I can't believe the bracelet is so light and comfortable to wear. It's fantastic. I will definitely go back to the Yankiwi site to order more tiles. The tiles are so easy to work with and there are lots of GWO's for you to choose from for your bracelets. Oh, you can buy tiles for pendants, too. Check it out. Their prices are great and they have a lot of Gorgeous Wee Objects and Stamps to choose from.

5 comments:

K Hutchinson said...

Holey buckets..this is gorgeous! The tiles look like amber to me! What did you seal them with....it makes them shiny but not to shiny. I am going to have to get me one of these kits soon!

Heather Grow said...

Very cool. It's like a little piece of art around your wrist.

Tami Bayer said...

You ROCKED this bracelet. I'm agog at how gorgeous it is. Really fantastic. Need to get mine out and play with it.

Carmen said...

Wow, that is gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

WAAUWWW, this is really very very beautiful! You are so talented!!

xxxMarieke