Sunday, November 11, 2007

It's about time

This was my grandfather's watch. His name was Sidney and he died back in 1977, and of his treasures, I received his pocket watch. I know, that seems like a strange thing to pass down to a granddaughter, but I will tell you why I got his watch.
I remember my parents buying me watches and a month or so later the watch would stop working. These were wind-up watches, so they thought I was overwinding them, but I wasn't. Watch after watch the same thing would happen, so when the battery operated watches became available, I'd buy those, but within months, the watch would die. Time after time this happened so I just quit wearing watches. I have a drawer full of watches I've bought because they were beautiful or trendy, but the same thing happens to all watches on me.
Then I found out that that was the reason Grandpa wore a pocket watch. Wrist watches stopped working when he wore them, too. I did a little research a while back, and it turns out we have some magnetic or electrical "thing" in our bodies that interferes with the workings of the watch.
This was the last watch Grandpa Sid owned before he died. It isn't an expensive watch nor is it very pretty, but it was Grandpa's and I feel the connection to him every time I look at it on my dresser.

7 comments:

thimbles bobbins paper and ink said...

Oh Debbie! This is such a wonderful momento from your Grandfather. You've displayed it beautifully and it is wonderful to see the photo too. I think this is so touching and a real heirloom for your own personal keepsakes.

~ Jennifer

Heather Grow said...

That's so awesome. What a gorgeous display. Grampa's are the best.

K Hutchinson said...

What a great treasure you have! Love how you have it displayed!

Tami Bayer said...

Such a beautiful story and so cool that you have such an interesting connection. Love the way you displayed your treasured pocket watch.

christie said...

Oh I love that story. It's so special to have something from him especaily when you both shared the same problem. I know you will always treasure this special gift.

Kathi said...

That's such a wonderful display of a treasured keepsake.

I kill watches too for the same reason. Thank heavens for cell phones.

Godelieve said...

I think it IS a beautiful and special piece to own and to look at. Nice story!