Sunday, September 21, 2008

Garden Party challenge card

I love participating in Cathrine's garden party challenge each week. It makes me think of how I feel about the weekly picture and how to make it into a card of my own. HERE is the post for the challenge and there is my card over there on the left. When I saw the challenge photo, I saw the sunflowers right away, but then there was that bit of red in the picture, too. I used the flora ginormous from Odd Bird Planet for my sunflowers. This flower can be made into so many different things, but I see it as a sunflower for some reason. I stamped the bottom flower first and then cut out a mask and covered it. Next I stamped the one just above it on the left. I cut out another mask and masked the second image, too. While both images were covered with masks, I stamped the third image. Then I started coloring with my Prisma pencils. One guess what color I started with. You're right - Limepeel! I put down a base of limepeel, then colored with the other colors. Here is my color list. For the leaves:
  • Limepeel
  • Olive green
  • Dark green
  • Burnt Ochre

For the flower petals:

  • Jasmine
  • Yellow Ochre
  • Goldenrod
  • Burnt Ochre
  • White

For the flower centers:

  • Light Umber
  • Dark Umber

I've heard some people choose their colors ahead of time and then color. I choose mine as I go along. When I was coloring the petals, I decided they needed a little "oomph" to the darker areas and it needed to be a little red in color since one of the other colors in the inspiration photo was red, so that's why I chose the burnt ochre. I also added a teensy bit of the burnt ochre to the leaves because, well, real leaves aren't totally green. They turn brown a bit on the edges. I didn't use brown because brown kind of muddies up the green and that bit of red in the burnt ochre is just right. I find these things out by trial and error. Nothing fancy about it.

So that's it. My garden party entry for the week. Thanks for stopping by.

3 comments:

thimbles bobbins paper and ink said...

This is one of my favorite Justjohanna stamps. I love how you've used it, and of course your coloring is the best!

Kathi said...

This is gorgeous. Just beautiful.

Have you ever submitted any of your stuff to Prismacolor? I bet they'd love to see it!

Anonymous said...

Awesome card. Your colours are lovely.